mylifethroughabook

Nicole Williams
Revived
Cat Patrick

Rules of Negotiation

Rules of Negotiation - Inara Scott Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

It might be a tad spoiler-ish

I had quite some mixed feelings over this book. I felt a bit disappointed. I expected more. Way more. And though it wasn’t a bad read, it left me wanting for something else, some sort of deeper connection with the characters.

Tori Anderson is a twenty-something lawyer. She’s driven, determined and strong. She’s better known as a workaholic. Work is her life. And she’s also very untrusting when it comes to good looking, charming men. Having learned from her mother than any men with too much charisma was not to be trusted, Tori takes her advice to the heart. Brit Bencher is exactly the type that falls into that rule. Into Tori’s Rules of Negotiation.
Rule of Negotiation #1: Beware of sexy CEOs bearing favorable contracts.

Brit Bencher is… an asshole. Known as The Slayer, he takes down anything and everything in his path, especially women. His charming enough, but a little bit too arrogant for my taste. Okay, wait. He’s freaking egotistical. Annoyingly so. He’s set his mind on taking care of his family, and though there’s a noble reason, going over someone else in his haste to do so, is not fine in my book.

And here lays the reason I couldn’t really appreciate this book as much as I wanted. I was too annoyed with Brit. And that kind of blew the whole thing away. I’m not used to not liking the main male character, I usually fall head-over-heels with them instantly, but this didn’t happen with Brit. He’s too bigheaded and never really sees things as they are, more like he sees what he wants to see. I couldn’t get passed his ulterior motives to being with Tori, so I never got to like him much, if at all.

Then again, you never know…
Rule of Negotiation #2: Assume nothing.

As I read away, and started over thinking the whole thing, I worried I wouldn’t get into the story. I admit that through the first half of the book I couldn’t really connect with the characters. I had a hard time getting past Brit’s lies (reason for which I couldn’t give this book 4 stars), but at the same time I was proud of Tori for not falling immediately to his feet. She sure had a strong mind, it’s not easy to pass up an opportunity like the one she had… spend the night with NYC’s most eligible bachelor. Annoyingly arrogant or not, the man knew his game.

Yet she stood her ground. But when faced with the opportunity again…
Rule of Negotiation #3: When in doubt, attack.

I will leave that to your own interpretation. It’s not like I want to spoil the whole thing, after all.
I was past half of the book, maybe rounding the sixty percent, when things started hitting off, with me and the book I mean. With Tori and Brit, well, they had already hit it off, so to speak. But I feared what was to come, because if I admitted it to myself I already knew what it was, and I was scared, for Tori’s sake.
Rule of Negotiation #4: A good attorney is always prepared.

This was the moment when I actually felt a connection with the characters, I could feel their emotions. Tori’s anger and hurt. I really felt for her. I was on her side since the very start, so when she got the news I couldn’t really blame her for lashing out, now could I? She had every right in the world. And for Brit to act so innocently, god! You would think he didn’t have any sense of guilt, or he was damn good at suppressing it.
Rule of Negotiation #5: Never let them see you sweat.

Once again, Tori shows us how strong she really is. I admire her. She’s the kind of strong character I like. Even though I don’t exactly approve of her methods. To avoid thinking about Brit she buries herself in work, more work.

I must admit though, that even though I was really annoyed with Brit, and I realize this now, I loved the ending. They both had some serious issues to overcome before they could be together. Brit’s need to take over the family when it wasn’t really his place; he tried to solve everyone else’s problems, but he couldn’t even see his own. And Tori’s trusting issues, she was hiding away in a pile of papers, refusing to see what was right in front of her in fear she would get hurt, like her mother had.

But Brit wasn’t like her father –not in the end –and she was nothing like her mother. She was strong, and he (even though still a bit of an arrogant asshole) was sweet and caring and sexy as hell.

As an overall conclusion, and I just changed my mind here after giving it a though, Rules of Negotiation was a pretty good book. A nice, easy read. Oh! And I was totally forgetting… it was rather hot at times. Really hot at times.
Rule of Negotiation #6: When you’re offered the deal of a lifetime, smile. And never let it go.